Thursday, August 15, 2013

Forgotten Retailers of the 70s and 80s

Service Merchandise Christmas Catalog
Service Merchandise Christmas Catalog
Service Merchandise Jewelery Showroom
Service Merchandise Jewelery Showroom



















Service Merchandise was always one of my favorite stores because they always had such a cool toy selection at Christmas and their catalog rivaled Sears in size and selection. An of course there were the bright shiny showrooms and the cool conveyor belts that delivered your merchandise.I would spend hours looking at that glossy bright colored catalog in the months before Christmas and think I actually enjoyed it more than the toys I got out of it!

Otasco Ad 1980s
Otasco Christmas Ad
Richway Department Stores Logo
Richway Department Stores Logo
Richway was kind of like a Target of the late 70s early 80s, the thing I remember most about their store was those huge skylight thingys they all had on the roof.

Otasco was a mans and boys wonderland with tools, toy trucks, race car tracks, bikes, tires, guns, hardware and all kinds of manly distractions. I think my first bike and .22 rifle both came from there. This was a store for father and son to go to, not a lot for the lady's here. The Otasco I used to go to with my dad was in Newnan, Georgia and the building is now a toy / antique store, but it always brings back memories every time I drive by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment